To paraphrase Donald Trump, You won’t believe how awesome 3.3.1 is going to be!
The long delayed secondary packager will appear but that’s just peanut gallery applause compared to the work done by passenger94 to bring back the video widget. If your users have installed VLC. Video is not part of of a Shoes download which would be an unending source of build problems, app/download size bloat and license issue. If your users have VLC installed and Shoes can find it, it will enable your script to use it. If don’t have VLC? then, You get a can’t fimd error message
Oh, there are many rough edges and bugs in VLC support and in the Secondary Installer. One or both will be in Shoes 3.3.1. You’ll be amazed! You will get tired of being so awesome. I don’t know whether to giggle or laugh.
Except for the bugs. Someone will always find bugs. That’s good too.
It’s released. For better or worse. I think better. Look at the changelog
Walkabout – Shoes 3.3
The name reflects back to when Shoes creator why_the_lucky_stiff disappeared
from the internet. He went walkabout! We changed some icons and backgrounds
to reflect that whimsical theme.
Walkabout (3.3) will be less compatible with the unmaintained 3.1 and not really released yet 4.0 (jRuby), We have interesting ideas of we what we do with Shoes that maybe very difficult to implement in Shoes 4.
New with 3.3.0
- Uses Gtk3 (not gtk2) for Linux and Windows. This will change visuals on both platorms.
- add font and wrap styles for list_box. A popular request – we are limited to what Gtk3 can do, however. The default behaviour for long strings in the list box is now to
ellipize … in the middle. THIS could effect your current apps.
Issue 109 https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/109
- A new Svg widget to display svg images – similar to Image but
NOT really the same. Has aspect scaling options based on the svg internals. See samples/good-svgview.rb. samples/good-flip.rb and the manual. We also include a svg deck of playing cards. It’s a bit fragile so please file bug reports and ask for feature requests.
- Very verbose Issue 54 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/54
- Pay attention to the OSX workaround #178 https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/is
- Preliminary save and export methods:
Issue #177 https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/177
- add a refresh slot method
Issue 152 https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/152
- Uses ruby 2.1.7 or 2.1.8 and rubygems 2.4.7+
Issue 164 https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/164
- New splash screen (no animation).
- Added samples/good-image-rotate.rb because it’s fun to watch.
Issue 157 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/157
Fixed with 3.3.0
- OSX – do not use home brew to manage dependecies.
- Remove pango-querymodules from OSX. Yay!
Issue 156 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/156
- Uninstall Shoes menu item for Linux (for some window managers)
Issue 31 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/31
- repaint after slot remove
Issue 151 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/151
- Windows: 256×256 icons failed when packaging.
Issue 10 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/10
- developer name and RVM and linker info gets embedded in
binary libraries. No solution worth the effort.
Issue 66 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/66
- Windows: fontconfig problems if you build shoes and download shoes
Issue 141 – https://github.com/Shoes3/shoes3/issues/141
Yes, we have been busy beavers. Next up is Shoes 3.3.1. It will be Amazing Too! You’ll get tired of how awesome Shoe 3.3 will be. Shoes will be great Again!
There’s just a few more things to finish before Shoes 3.3.0 (WalkAbout) is finished. In fact its good enough for folks who like to poke at new things and leave some feedback. So, there are beta downloads.
There are numerous big fixes and a couple of new features. One popular request is to do something that can shrink long strings in list_box. OSX does a wonderful job at this but Linux and Windows don’t. In 3.3.0 you can set the font for a list_box and you can create a two line entry if you specify a wrap: option which shows two lines of the string with some control on wrapping. The default without wrap is show the first part an ellipsis … and the last part of the long string. That effects existing Shoes programs visually. If long strings is a problem for you, try the beta and let us know if it’s good enough or unsatisfactory. Of course you’ll have to read the manual for what the options details are.
The other new feature is the ability to load and display Svg files and keep them in vector format. You also get some Svg unique methods for managing aspect and drawing a (sub)group in an Svg file. This is actually a brand new widget for Shoes 3.3.0 which took us a long time do correctly. It only looks like an Image. We also included two good sample programs and a deck of playing cards so after reading the manual, you can read the sample code and get familiar with what could be done. If you study the samples you’ll notice an OSX work around. It’s only a beta! We know that bug exists.
And the artwork has changed and – that’s enough for now.